Lights Out Cleveland: Monitoring & Collection Volunteers Wanted
About Lights Out Cleveland
Lights Out Cleveland is a group of local partnering organizations working to create awareness about the effects of brightly lit buildings and reflective glass on migrating birds. Through this awareness we will create change and save birds’ lives.
Title: Monitoring and Collection Volunteer
Location: Downtown Cleveland, Ohio
Hours: 5:00 am – ~8:30 am, March 15 – ~June 1 and August 15 – mid-November. Opportunities are available seven days per week. Volunteers are required to commit to a minimum of one shift per week
Reports to: Lake Erie Nature & Science Center Wildlife Rehabilitation Specialist and Cleveland Metroparks Volunteer Services
The monitoring and collection volunteer is responsible for monitoring specific areas throughout Downtown Cleveland, collecting/transporting both living and dead birds, and recording data. The survey and rehabilitation efforts are led by Tim Jasinski from the Lake Erie Nature & Science Center. To become a volunteer, you will need to join the Cleveland Metroparks volunteer system.
- Arrive to the meeting location on time
- Walk the predetermined route(s) and monitor the area for dead or injured birds
- Collect dead or injured birds, per program procedures
- Record required data
- Transport dead or injured birds to predetermined locations
- Submit effort to the Cleveland Metroparks Volunteer system (Volgistics)
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- At this time, volunteers are responsible for paying for their own parking fees, if applicable. Every attempt is made to coordinate free parking locations each morning, but these cannot be guaranteed
- Must be able to walk continuously during each shift. Frequent bending, squatting, grasping, and reaching required
- Must follow all Lights Out Cleveland and Cleveland Metroparks volunteer policies and procedures.
If you are interested in volunteering please fill out our volunteer form at the Cleveland Metroparks website (linked in the button below). Once you have registered, please send a short email to our volunteer coordinator, at LightsOutCLEvolunteer@gmail.com letting us know that you enrolled. We will send you the link to the current information session video and instructions on how to get started with Lights Out right away.
Don’t forget to email our Volunteer Coordinator to let us know you signed up with Cleveland Metroparks!